I think often about optimism. Choosing optimism (and it is a choice) as often as I can has been life changing for me. Let’s be honest though, life isn’t always the most predictable happy dancin’, joy trippin’ experience we signed up for. Sigh, I’m sure you can relate. Each one of us has our own challenges and struggles but we have something else in common. We each have the opportunity to choose optimism over pessimism, positive over negative, and to experience a better life as a result of this habit!
Here are 6 super simple ways to experience a better life with optimism:
- The first thing to do upon waking in the morning: give thanks for something. Practicing gratitude is a game changer – guaranteed. You woke up! Today is an opportunity to make a difference, to try something new, to be a better person than you were yesterday, to tell family and friends you love them, to reconnect with someone you’ve been thinking of, to connect with someone new, to start over, to redo, to rethink, to renew, to celebrate life and all the gifts it offers. Simply do whatever you can with whatever you have and wherever you are!
- (Be)lieve (the)re is (good) in the world. Sure there are lots of nasty and sad things that happen, all over, every day. But there are even more good and inspiring things. Be one of them!
- Simplify your life so you can appreciate more (with less). The more stuff/things/gadgets/gizmos we have (or think we have to have), the more cluttered our lives and minds become. The faster we go, filling our lives with “busyness”, the harder it will be to get off that spinning wheel. Can you eliminate one thing, one commitment, one habit that is causing you overload? I’m sure you can and you are totally going to thank yourself for taking that step!
- Practice healthy habits that help you grow emotionally, physically, spiritually, mentally. Get active however you can, be mindful of watch you watch, read, listen to, practice focused breathing whenever you can to feed your soul and calm your mind, eat well and think about what you are putting into your body, get enough sleep, C.A.R.E.TM more, choose to be kind, choose to see the good, choose to make a positive difference, choose to learn and grow and evolve, choose to love yourself, choose to love others, choose to think differently, choose to be brave, choose to take a stand, choose your thoughts, choose to believe, choose to speak your truth, choose to forgive, choose to live your best life.
- Be compassionate and non-judgmental. We never know what another person is dealing with. Health issues, care-giving, finances, insecurity, job loss, relationship problems, loss, purpose, fear, loneliness, frustration, overwhelm, overload. Your smile, encouraging words, or act of kindness may be all it takes to make someone’s day better (including your own!)
- Who are you surrounding yourself with? I encourage you to take the time to look at this. This includes who you physically surround yourself with as well as those you are surrounded with through social media. Both make an impact. We need to be mindful to maintain and celebrate those relationships that are serving us and distance or even eliminate those relationships that are bringing us down. It may be difficult to take that step, but it is crucial for personal growth, peace and happiness. In situations where distancing yourself is difficult, such as a work environment, refer to the suggestions in the previous points I have listed. Any of those suggestions will help you to cope, and perhaps even thrive in challenging relationship situations.
Choose optimism and “magic” follows, more of it than you can imagine. Joy will show up in your life in the most unexpected moments, in the simplest of ways, and with increased frequency. Some things you never “saw” before will wonderfully appear. Your experiences will change, your relationships will shift, your life will change. All because you chose.
Together in the journey,