Yes, it’s summer holiday! Finally! Those past weeks have been crazy, but now, finally some moments of calm… Not having to bring my kids to school or sports for a while. Finally some time to breathe. To relax. And to recharge. Do you recognize this feeling? The need to relax once it’s summer holiday? What if you could find a way to relax a little bit every day. To have some time just for you?
I love being a mom! I have two children and I am so happy and proud to be their mom. They are now 10 and 12, so they are more and more doing their own things. Needing their mom less and less. And that’s OK. Although I still see my daughter as my little girl. Oh well, 10 is still quite small, right? Of course they both don’t need me as much anymore as a couple of years ago, but they still need me. Hey, I’m their mom! But I also take care of myself. I try to take some me-time every day. It’s not always easy, but I have found few things that really work for me. And sometimes I’m simply too tired or too busy, and that’s OK too. Because I know I will take me-time again the next day.
Those past weeks, the last weeks before the summer holidays were filled with parties, end of the year musical, a trip to the zoo (with the class of my daughter), more parties, school obligations (seriously, at my son’s school even baking was kind of an obligation!), more parties (it was incredible this year!!), my daughter’s birthday, and some stuff I wanted to do for myself, like meeting some Facebook friends in real life in Amsterdam. And you know what, this isn’t even half of it! But I’m guessing you know what I mean, because I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who had such busy weeks! Especially in those crazy busy weeks it’s important to take time for yourself! It’s a choice you can always make! Choose to take a break. Choose to take some me-time!
I really don’t know how my grandma did it with 10 kids! I can’t even imagine having 10 kids! By the way, my other grandma had 14 kids! I think they never had a moment for themselves. Of course, my grandma didn’t have a job, and I know my mom (almost the eldest) had to help her a lot. I’m really wondering what that would have been like. I might ask my grandma when I see her, how things were for her back then.
Nowadays we always want to do our own things as well. We know that some me-time helps us to recharge our batteries and that it serves everyone when we feel great! But as moms we often put ourselves in the last place. We take care of everyone and everything and then… oh, no time anymore, maybe tomorrow….
Now I have made a small list of things you can do to help you take time for yourself. Even if it’s just 10 minutes a day! I’m sure it will do you lots of good!!
- Listen to short, guided meditations. If you really haven’t found time during the day, you can listen to a meditation while under the shower (putting your phone or other device in the sink gives a great sound!) or when you’re lying in bed (a perfect way to let go of your day and fall into a deep, restorative sleep)
- Make a list of easy to do things that make you really happy. Commit to doing at least one of those things every day!
- Put on some music that makes you happy. You can do this in the car, while driving to school, while cooking or folding the laundry. You can put earphones in when you’re not alone in the house and really escape to another world if you want to. I love putting on Spanish music and think back to when I was in Madrid as an exchange student….
- Take a break. When you drink tea or coffee, take a real break. Even if it’s just for a couple of minutes. Don’t wait until your drink is cold and quickly empty your cup. Take time to enjoy your drink!
- Start your day with some me-time. I know, especially on school days not the easiest thing to do! But… in the weekend this is an amazing way to start your day. Pick up your favorite book and read a few lines. Grab your journal and write down what you’re grateful for. Listen to a meditation. These are all things you can do in only 10 minutes. And if you take half an hour, you can do them all! You might even want to get up before your kids during the week, to do one of those things!
- Don’t plan too much. Easy to say, I know, but sometimes you just have to skip some things.
- Say no. When someone asks you to do something and you really don’t have time, no matter how much you would love to help that person, you are allowed to say no. Using up your energy doesn’t serve anyone!
Now of course you don’t have to do all the things on this list. Just pick a few and see how it goes. Or start by picking one and adding something else when you feel like it. Or try different ones to see what works best for you. I’d love to hear from you how things are going!
If you’d like to take some more time for yourself this summer, my meditation & journal package Summer Magic is perfect for you! Magical meditations to help you unwind and relax, and a 30-day journal to focus on the happy things and connect with your inner wisdom. I’m sure you’ll create an amazing summer! Click here to read more.